Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

From: "Keith A. Glass" <salgak () speakeasy net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:40:20 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Emily Conrad [mailto:emilydconrad () hotmail com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 08:17 PM
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: [fw-wiz] Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

Hello,

We are working on a project to upgrade our firewall infrastructure.

One of the questions is whether to use FW-1 on a standard Intel server or to
use a special-purpose optimized version of FW-1 on a dedicated hardware
platform such as Nokia firewall appliance or Crossbeam systems C30/X40.

Does anyone have any advice on what factors are important when making such a
decision?

Several comments.

1. Have you EVER previously implemented FW-1 on an Intel platform ?  IF not, I'd suggest an appliance-based solution.
Personally, if I wanted to run FW-1 on generic hardware, I'd buy some cheap SunFire 120s and run it on Solaris, now
that single-processor licenses for Solaris are free.  I'd specifically  recommend Solaris 9, and note that locking down
a Solaris system for firewall usage is FAR easier and more complete than trying to lock down a Win2K/2K3 system.

2. Are you looking to CLUSTER FW-1 for HA or load balancing ?  If so, you will DEFINITELY need to look for an
optimized appliance-based solution.  And, based on my experience, I'd suggest the Nortel "Alteon" systems for FW-1: a
pair of Alteon Directors and a pair of compatible Alteon Accelerators give you a clustered solution that doesn't
require you to play any oddball Cisco tricks   on your switches, allows you a NUMBER of separated nets behind the
firewall, and even multiple DMZs.  I've used Nokia IP-series before, as well as FW-1 on Solaris, and can't say enough
about the Alteon platform. . .