Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Discretionary WiFi Access

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:04:21 -0400 (EDT)

Vinicius Moreira Mello <vmmello () inf ufrgs br> wrote:

Jose Varghese wrote:

Keeping it simple: Physical segregation and only Internet access

Sorry, but I don't agree. If you deploy and maintain the network you'll
be liable for any legal action against you in case of misuse.

Perhaps so, but irrelevant, in my view, because I feel responsibility
trumps legal liability.  IOW: Even were there no legal liability, it
would be the height of irresponsibility to create an uncontrolled,
un-monitored WiFi hot spot with unfettered access to the 'net.

                                                              Making
reality simpler is not the same as creating simple solutions.

s/is not/is not necessarily/

I would consider studying solutions #2 or #3 from John Adams's message.
There are some guides/howtos out there that show how to configure such
scenarios.

The problem with those solutions is that not all clients will be
supported by the newer WiFi protocols.  Most 802.11b drivers don't
support WAP, much-less 802.1x, for example.  And even if they do
support them, older implementations may need to be patched to get
bug-fixes.  Are *you*, the local network admin., going to take
responsibility for patching a guest's PC?  Then there'll be the
administrative overhead in granting the guest access: Both server-side
and client-side.  For every visitor--coming and going.  Are you, the
local network admin., going to take responsibility for making
configuration changes to a visitor's PC?

Don't get me wrong: I agree that an open mode WLAN is a Very Bad Idea.
But I don't see how John Adams' suggestions are practical, either.

Am I missing something?

Jim
--
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/scform.php>.