Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

From: "Ionut Boldizsar" <ionut () provision ro>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:28:22 +0300

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com] On Behalf
Of Marcus J. Ranum
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 6:06 AM
To: David Lang; Emily Conrad
Cc: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

With technology today I recommend (in general) never buying
maintenance and expecting to turn a product over ever year or
2 - or keep it indefinitely as long as it works. I tend to do
scorched-earth hard disk upgrades every
2 years (yay, digital photography) but I am still using
Office '95 and it runs just great on my 2Ghz machine.

So, yes, think about the future - but think about it from the
standpoint of "most of this stuff DOESN'T HAVE A FUTURE."

mjr.

This is all great,  but I hope you are mainly referring to hardware
equipments and office suites, otherwise you just put 80 % of us out of
business (both vendors and practitioners) :)
I somehow believe that security related software should be
update/maintained as much as possible. Mainly because anyhow this is all
reactive, thus two-steps behind the real threat.
You might be using Office 95, and do a great job with it, but I doubt
you're still using a '95 antivirus on that PC, right? :)

And still, your last phrase is pure truth: most of this stuff really has
no future.

//ionut