Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: cable modem access

From: Technical Incursion Countermeasures <lists () ticm com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 21:09:31

I have considered a linux server as a front end and firewall, however, it
will be a learning experience to get it up an running. Is it the best
option as a firewall?  Are there better options?  I have a win95, a win98,
and a NT4.0 workstation that I want
to put behind a firewall.

OK at a _bare_ minimum - and only if you don't feel like taking on the
learning curve of Linux+some form of firewall... put a NT box in with teh
Routing and Remote Access system, setup filters to block incoming access to
everything you don't want to allow (or better still try and trun everything
off except what you want)

that a real bare minimum IMOH though.. better to look at some of the
linux+fw distributions.. I'm sure someone will pop up and tell you...

Personally I use gauntlet :}..

Feel free to quiz me direct if you want details..

CHeers,

Bret
Technical Incursion Countermeasures
consulting () TICM COM                      http://www.ticm.com/
ph: (+61)(041) 4411 149(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9454 6042

The Insider - a e'zine on Computer security Vol 3 Issue 1 out now
http://www.ticm.com/info/insider/index.html