Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

cable modem access

From: twalls - Troy Walls <twalls () acxiom com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:50:21 -0500

I know this group is dedicated to helping network administrators with firewall issues that they deal with at their
workplace, however, I have a slightly different twist on my problem.  It is not directly workplace related.

I have a cable modem at home.  I have some concerns about the security of the setup.  I have this installed on a stand
alone machine whose only function is internet access.  I want to change that and put three other machines on the cable
modem through a network.  I have installed Cat 5 cable, and purchased a 10/100 hub for this activity.

I have considered a linux server as a front end and firewall, however, it will be a learning experience to get it up an
running. Is it the best option as a firewall?  Are there better options?  I have a win95, a win98, and a NT4.0
workstation that I want to put behind a firewall.

My question is how can I protect those machines.  I have another machine that I can use as a firewall box. I just don't
know what is available for my type of arrangement.

Thanks

Troy Walls
Acxiom Corp.
501-336-2865