Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Opinions on VPN?

From: Kyle Starkey <KSTARKEY () altera com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:41:21 -0700

On the subject of VPN and Firewalls intregration.....
The Network Operations group is curently implementing VPN on a Cisco 3600
and have assured me that there is no way to manipulate the router to do
anything else, but VPN.  I am new to the field and have only a small amount
of Cisco experience, but could some one tell me if the implementation of
Cisco Firewall feature set behind the VPN decrytion would be a good idea.  I
was thinking about allowing the router to decrypt the IPSEC then have it
pass through the Firewall feature set.  Does any one know how to implement
it, to process in this way?  See diag below if this is way confusing....

                                |               |               |
                        |IPSEC  |FW Feature     |
Internet-----------------Decryption     |Set            ----------Internal
NET
                                |               |               |
                                |               |               |

Mind you I am looking to make this all happen on the same physical router!!

Thanks
Kyle R. Starkey
Information Security Group
Altera Corporation