Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Opinions on VPN?

From: "Jan B. Koum " <jkb () best com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:26:03 -0700

        Hi folks,

        Just wanted to find out what other people opinion on 'VPN' as a
general idea? IMHO, the person who came up with the VPN idea should be
shot, because in most cased all VPN do is create entry points into your
network (in most cased right past the firewall and some times in the
hear of your network). They also give admins false sence of security:
the data is encrypted. But if 'rm -rf /' or 'cp porn.html index.html'
command -- so what?! That command (traffic) is still there!

        Am I alone in the opinion that VPN mostly suck or is it just
because I tend to run into a lot of misconfigured cisco routers which
do encrypt data, but also route packets from others into your net :(

-- Yan