oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Curious about the security of my router fermwair.

From: Nicholas Prowse <nick5990 () yahoo co uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 11:26:31 +0000 (UTC)

Jonathan,

- My suggestion is to port scan all devices eg routers you own. Then store and analyse the results. Only scan devices
you own since scanning other peoples devices / networks may be illegal.

- A wide variety of tutorials and information about port scanning is available online.

- I found through port scanning some of the devices I own earlier this year, that there were many open and filtered
ports and stated services such as telnet, upnp, and ssdp. I found out via research that these services / protocols have
had vulnerabilities in the past that are publicly known. There are likely many devices with known and unknown
weaknesses in circulation.

- shodan.io can tell one how many requests are being sent by specific services / protocols. Some results were quite
surprising to me.

Q: Does anyone know if there are databases / listings / websites that have port scan results by device? If yes, some
examples would be good.

Regards,
Nick