Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [VulnWatch] Details of Sybase ASE bugs withheld

From: sean <infamous41md () hotpop com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:38:51 -0500

Another question, how can one prove that it was found by disassembling the code?
What if it were found by brute force testing?  I can't imagine that a company
would prohibit the user from testing the functionality of a product they sell? A
friend of mine told me this sort of legal piracy was commonplace - have there
ever been any actual legal proceedings in a similar situation?  I'm not finding
anything good on google.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:12:19 -0500
"Marchand, Tom" <Tom.Marchand () bcbsfl com> wrote:

If the bug was found by disassembling Sybase's code then Sybase probably does
have a legal position to do this.  I haven't read Sybase's EULA but most have
a provision prohibiting reverse engineering of code.