Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: [ISN] How To Save The Internet

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:45:49 -0800

Jason Coombs [mailto:jasonc () science org] writes:

<snip>
... the core problem with computer
security is that our CPUs make no effort to restrict the execution of
machine code to that very small subset of all possible machine code
which constitutes the code that the owner of the CPU desires
it to run.

<snip>

If anyone really cared about solving this core security problem with
computing today, it would be solved in just a few months.

  Just one of the myriad of security issues that we're grappling with
are the various rights of the owner of the CPU, the *operator* of the
CPU, and the owner of the *data*, each of whom may have a more or less
legitimate say in what code actually gets executed.  Far too many folks
have already "solved" this problem incorrectly for me to believe that
the "just a few months" solution you envisage will actually be correct.

David Gillett