oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: gstreamer plugins

From: Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 07:31:29 -0500

Another exploit chain here:
https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.de/2016/11/0day-exploit-advancing-exploitation.html

Alex

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 5:59 AM, Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de> wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:31:19 +0100
Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de> wrote:

1. Bufferoverflow in VMNC decoder in gstreamer plugins:
      https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.de/2016/11/0day-poc-
risky-design-decisions-in.html

I wanted to point out that while it's good the buffer overflow gets
fixed, that's by far not the major issue here.

This is a very problematic design decision with the functionality of
tracker/GNOME that exposes all files on a system to who knows how many
decoders of probably overall very low quality.
Almost certainly there are countless other vulnerabilities of similar
kind in all kinds of gstreamer codecs. (and I haven't checked, but I
assume tracker also exposes other files to other equally problematic
decoders)

I think this is kinda a symptom of two goals clashing: We have projects
like gstreamer that attempt to parse every file format ever seen in
their are - which of course has some value, especially in terms of
preserving digital culture. But on the other hand exposing this code to
untrusted inputs is a security disaster.

I'm wondering if there is any statement or reaction from either gnome
or fedora on this.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno () hboeck de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42

--
GPG Key fingerprint: D1B3 ADC0 E023 8CA6