Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows Server 2003 and XP SP2 LAND attack vulnerability

From: <caldcv () students fccj org>
Date: 9 Mar 2005 00:48:00 -0000

All:

I would like to hear from someone who can reproduce this. If you can, please send
details with OS, patches installed, pcaps, etc. not a report of what tools you used
to create the packet, sniff and replay the results. I've tested this and either my
machines are magically protected from this attack, or it is invalid (despite what
the press might say). I'd like some outside corroboration of this attack.

OK,

 I run Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] aka Windows Server 2003.
 All service packs have been installed. I went to Windows Update, and
 nothing installed. Windows Firewall is off.

 My linux box is a sarge installation of Debian, which is up to date.

Interesting ports on 192.168.0.100:
(The 1600 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
135/tcp    open        loc-srv
139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn

 The code I used is from here:
http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/20050307.windos.c.php

eight@dipset-bitch:~/code$ sudo ./land-new 192.168.0.100 139
Packet sent. Remote machine should be down.

 The original land.c code didn't want to compile on my linux box.. so I saw this on a slashdot post, tested it, and it
locks the machine up to 100% CPU for about 8-10 secs, then goes back to normal.

 I hope this helps.

--CC