Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows Server 2003 and XP SP2 LAND attack vulnerability

From: Espen "Grndahl" <espen.groendahl () siemens com>
Date: 8 Mar 2005 07:29:41 -0000

Hello

I've been able to reproduce this.

I used ipmagic on debian 3.0 and sendt a packet to a fully patched Windows 2003 server running on Vmware ESX server. I
got a 1-5 sec. 100% load on the CPU on the target server. 1 packet/pr. sec. was enough to keep the CPU on 100% load.

Espen Grøndahl

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:55:32 -0800
From: "Jon O." <jono () networkcommand com>
To: Dejan Levaja <dejan () levaja com>
Cc: bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Windows Server 2003 and XP SP2 LAND attack vulnerability

All:

I would like to hear from someone who can reproduce this. If you can, please send
details with OS, patches installed, pcaps, etc. not a report of what tools you used
to create the packet, sniff and replay the results. I've tested this and either my
machines are magically protected from this attack, or it is invalid (despite what
the press might say). I'd like some outside corroboration of this attack.

On 05-Mar-2005, Dejan Levaja wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Windows Server 2003 and XP SP2 (with Windows Firewall turned off)  are vulnerable to LAND attack.

LAND attack:
 Sending TCP packet with SYN flag set, source and destination IP address and source and destination port as of
destination machine, results in 15-30 seconds DoS condition.

Tools used:
 IP Sorcery for creating malicious packet, Ethereal for sniffing it and tcpreplay for replaying.

Results:
 Sending single LAND packet to file server causes Windows explorer freezing on all workstations currently connected
to the server. CPU on server goes 100%. Network monitor on the victim server sometimes can not even sniff malicious
packet. Using tcpreplay to script this attack results in total collapse of the network.

Vulnerable operating systems:
Windows 2003
XP SP2
other OS not tested (I have other things to do currently ? like checking firewalls on my networks ;) )

Solution:
 Use Windows Firewall on workstations, use some firewall capable of detecting LAND attacks in front of your servers.

Ethic:
 Microsoft was informed 7 days ago (25.02.2005, GMT +1, local time), NO answer received, so I decided to share this
info with security community.

Dejan Levaja
System Engineer
Bulevar JNA 251