Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Opinion: Worst interface ever.

From: Ian Rae <irae () syntenic com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:42:52 -0400

Was expecting a more technical discussion for my introduction to this mailing list but while we're on the topic of touchie-feelies:

Watchguard OS
I don't know pre 8.0 Watchguard well but I like Fireware 8.0 functionality and interface a lot, and when that has failed us for certain operations the CLI has not failed us. The Gold release was missing routes for the HA fuctionality on the X2500 platform (a somewhat critical omission I should add) and it was a pretty quick correction via CLI. Based on our requirements I doubt I would ever use the non-fireware code so I can't contribute there. I believe they will try to bring the fireware code to their entire product line but currently it is only available on the CORE and PEAK series.

Watchguard Support
We learned quite quickly that standard Watchguard support is sub par due in part to the fact that it seems to be outsourced to India. We found that to get good support you either need to appeal to your local Sales Engineer or become a certified partner which gets you superior support from engineers in North America.

We are heavy Netscreen users and are (so far) very happy with Watchguard's competing solutions. We're looking forward to working with the Firebox Peak product in the near future.

-I