Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Opinion: Worst interface ever.

From: vbwilliams () neb rr com
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:36:03 -0600

My opinion...

I won't use the products strictly because of their interfaces.  None of
them are consistent with the other.  There needs to be consistency.

In my opinion, the interface is one of the only differentiating things
in this line of products.  I would much rather use a version of PIX
than mess around with Watchguard at this point in the game.  With PIX,
I know what I'm getting.  The command line and web interfaces are the
same regardless of the model of firewall.  Watchguard, why is every
different model/version different...and vastly different?

In my opinion, if you're going to base a commercial firewall product on
open/free software (which several of the Watchguards are...at least the
ones I've dealt with), then you better differentiate your product with
something that's definitely superior.  The documentation is definitely
subpar, the OS is the same as any homegrown solution, so what else is
there other than interface?

You could build yourself the equivalent of any of the Watchguard
products for about the same price as it costs to buy one off the
shelf.  Seeing as their support sucks, their interface sucks, their
documentation sucks, why do people keep buying the things?