Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port funnels?

From: davidg () genmagic com (David Gillett)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:22:20 -0800

On 12 Apr 99, at 12:42, Stout, Bill wrote:

I'm looking for a server utility that would funnel application ports
onto one port number pair.  Any exist?  This would greatly simplify
remote access to applications.

I'm rather unclear on why application vendors do only define the
inbound port, and then use random (or simply different) ports to
reply.  I may have missed that day of lecture.

  Suppose that on host A, we want to open two connections to the same
service on host B (perhaps these are telnet sessions for two different
users, or perhaps our web browser uses multiple sessions to grab
graphics, or ...).  There's no gain in forcing these connections to use
the same port at our end -- and how do we discriminate which responding
traffic belongs to which session????[*]
  The service daemon (or whatever) on host B will find out, from our
connection requests, what port numbers to send responses to.

  In general, having the protocol specify an originating port number
(usually the same as the destination...) makes sense only when the
protocol is connectionless (UDP...) AND no host is both a client and a
server for this protocol.  [A host which is only a client might choose
to use the same address for both, but a server cannot require that
unless the protocol meets this condition.]

[*] This looks like we've got both sessions going to the same port
number at host B, but typically it is only the connection request that
goes to this port; a new port is allocated for the session, and its
number is returned to the client for use throughout the rest of the
connection.

  Going back to your original question, it sounds like you want to run
a bunch of different protocols over top of some single protocol; this
is commonly done with, for example, PPTP and (far too often!) HTTP.
From a firewall perspective, though, this is as much a *problem* as a
solution.  Do you have a problem that this would solve?  Maybe there's
a better (or at least, more secure) solution....

David G