oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: PHPMailer < 5.2.20 Remote Code Execution PoC 0day Exploit (CVE-2016-10045) (Bypass of the CVE-2016-1033 patch)

From: Dawid Golunski <dawid () legalhackers com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 01:04:52 -0200

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Solar Designer <solar () openwall com> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 03:03:39AM -0200, Dawid Golunski wrote:
This was reported responsibly to the vendor & assigned a CVEID on the
26th of December.
The vendor has been working on a new patch which would fix the problem but
not break the RFC too badly. The patch should be published very soon.

I'm releasing this as a 0day without the new patch available publicly
as a potential bypass was publicly discussed on oss-sec with Solar
Designer in the PHPMailer < 5.2.18 thread, so holding the advisory
further would serve no purpose.

Yeah.  I did think for a moment before posting in here yesterday, but
for a number of reasons chose to go ahead with the public discussion.

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

No worries,  good that the patch came in quick so it wasn't too bad I guess.
Got a bunch of critical comments but most of them are pretty funny
anyway ;) E.g.

https://twitter.com/dawid_golunski/status/814253540503908356

;D

Good work on sensing trouble in that bit of code too though.

--
Regards,
Dawid Golunski