oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: MCabber: remote attackers can modify the roster and intercept messages via a crafted roster-push IQ stanza

From: Mathieu Pasquet <mathieui () mathieui net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 01:49:34 +0100

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 09:19:06PM +0100, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
Hi

Sam Whited discovered that MCabber versions 1.0.3 and before, was
vulnerable to an attack identical to Gajim's CVE-2015-8688 [1] which
can lead to a malicious actor MITMing a conversation, or adding
themselves as an entity on a third parties roster (thereby granting
themselves the associated priviledges such as observing when the user
is online).

The issue was fixed in the 1.0.4 release, with patch found at [2].

Can a CVE be assigned for this issue?

Regards,
Salvatore

 [1] https://gultsch.de/gajim_roster_push_and_message_interception.html
 [2] https://bitbucket.org/McKael/mcabber-crew/commits/6e1ead98930d7dd0a520ad17c720ae4908429033/raw

 [3] https://bugs.debian.org/845258

Hello,

I would like to mention that when Sam mentioned it to the MCabber team,
I investigated the slixmpp [1] codebase to see if we we were equally
vulnerable. It appeared that the default roster mechanism already has a
check in place, but it creates a general event before then, which could
be received by another handler to re-implement a Roster differently
(like we do in poezio [2]).

This specific bug has been corrected in [3] and [4], which are available
in slixmpp 1.2.3 (all previous versions are affected).

I’m not sure if this specific part warrants a CVE, as it is quite a
specific case (but people could send arbitrary roster pushes to poezio
before then), but I thought it would be good to mention. If it is
considered a real security flaw, I have to say that SleekXMPP [5] [6] is
also affected, and I will patch it if needed.

Regards,
Mathieu

 [1] https://github.com/poezio/slixmpp
 [2] https://github.com/poezio/poezio / https://poez.io