oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request - multiple ghostscript -dSAFER sandbox problems

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 10:04:03 -0700

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de> wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 09:13:03 -0700
Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com> wrote:

If you're using ImageMagick, I would recommend disabling the PS, EPS,
PDF and XPS coders in policy.xml. Applications like gimp, evince,
claws, and most other applications that generate thumbnails of PDF/PS
documents should probably not do so without a prompt (NOTE: A lot of
packages do this

I was surprised to see evince in this list. It uses poppler for pdf and
libspectre for postscript, so there seems to be no use of
ghostscript (maybe in an older version).
Also for claws the only use of ghostscript is in a plugin that's not
enabled by default.

It might be an old version but the version I have on RHEL7 and Ubuntu
LTS both invoke gs by default.

$ evince --version
GNOME Document Viewer 3.14.2

Oops, I think I may be wrong about that, I just saw that some of my
test cases repro and assumed it was using ghostscript.

Maybe there are poppler issues as well, sigh.

Tavis.