oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Handful of libass issues

From: Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil () debian org>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 16:11:49 +0100

Hi

Apologies for the late reply.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:24:24AM -0500, Brandon Perry wrote:

On Oct 27, 2016, at 3:39 AM, Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil () debian org> wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 10:23:22PM -0400, cve-assign () mitre org wrote:
The third is a huge memory allocation leading to a crash that wasn't
fixed because a good solution is unavailable at the moment.

Use CVE-2016-7971.

It looks from the discussion in
https://github.com/libass/libass/pull/240 that this issue is disputed
to be actually in libass.

For context, while the input caused a crash with AFL (not fuzzing
with ASAN) and it crashes with ASAN, I was unable to reproduce the
crash with libass externally. I was only able to take up a hug
amount of memory and take a long time to finish parsing the input.

I asked if they dev wanted to reject the CVE but got no strong
response either way, so I decided to not pursue it.

Sure understand that. Currently, still the CVE is associated with libass.

@MITRE CVE team, could you clarify the above? Is it still desired to
have the CVE associated with libass, or shoult it be rejected?

Regards,
Salvatore