Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DoS of LAN via D-Link switches

From: Neil Watson <bugtraq () watson-wilson ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:21:14 -0500

From: Frank Bures [mailto:lisfrank () chem toronto edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:41 AM
In my opinion, a switch should be immune to this admittedly insane
manipulation.  Otherwise, one can DoS the entire network just
by shorting
two RJ-45 network outlets in one's office together.

I believe what you are describing is officially called a bridge loop.  A
bridge loop occurs when a switch, or stack of switches are plugged into
themselves.  The result is that the switches report the same MAC address
at multiple ports.  The solution to this is called Spanning Tree
Protocol.  STP is a set of algorithms that help switches remove
redundant MAC entries.

Reference:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2001/03/30/net_2nd_lang.html

--
Neil Watson               | Gentoo Linux
Network Administrator     | Uptime 12 days