Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Secure Science issues preview of their upcoming block cipher

From: devnull () Rodents Montreal QC CA
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:02:06 -0500 (EST)

[The From: header is a broken-autoresponder defense; use the address in
the signature if you want to write to me.]

[quoting order repaired manually -dM]
[...] CS2-128 cipher is a 128-bit block cipher with a 128 bit key.
This cipher is [...] provably just as secure as AES-128.
Really?  How does one go about proving the security of a block
cipher?

Proving it just as secure as another cipher is very different from
proving its security in any kind of absolute sense.

If I wanted to prove two ciphers to be of equivalent security ("just as
secure as"), I would try to find a way to use a break of either to
break the other (with sufficiently trivial transformation cost, of
course).  If I show that any break of CS2-128 can be trivially used to
break AES-128, then I have shown that CS2-128 is at least as secure
than AES-128; if I do the same in the other direction too, I have shown
that it is just as secure.

My understanding is that you, and others, perform attacks against it,
and see how it holds up.

That is how to probe its security in absolute terms; it cannot prove
anything in the mathematical sense that is apparently being used here.
(Well, okay, it _can_ prove that a cipher is *in*secure.)  "Provably
just as secure as" has little to nothing to do with the kind of
demonstration of security derived from withstanding skilled attacks.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca