Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [VulnWatch] Details of Sybase ASE bugs withheld

From: "David Litchfield" <davidl () ngssoftware com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:50:22 -0000

Hey Halvar,
am I understanding this correctly ? Sybase is threatening "something"
so that the technical details of the vulnerability are kept secret
indefinitely ?

Yes - you understand correctly. Needless to say I hope all of this can be resolved amicably; and the details will be published.

This is a rather curious development. Are the pre/post patch versions
freely downloadable ?

To be honest, I don't know, but if the patch is freely downloadable, let's face it, the "details" are there to anyone with a disassembler, anyway. This kind of legal threat achieves nothing other than to make legit researchers fearful about being sued if they find and publish security issues - even if they do so in a responsible manner. In such a climate security research will be driven underground - which is where the "good guys" really don't want it to be.

Cheers,
David Litchfield
Research Scientist
NGSSoftware Ltd