Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Firefox Software Update

From: Adam Kane <kane () linkitsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:27:00 -0800

Kai Howells wrote:
It appears that there is a problem with the Firefox Software Update, at least in Firefox 1.0 on Windows and Mac OS X.

In Preferences -> Advanced -> Software Update there are checkboxes to Periodically check for updates to Firefox and My Extensions. It doesn't appear that this feature works at all. I've not been notified via this method that Firefox 1.0.1 has been released, even manually hitting the Check Now button (that takes a minute or so to do it's thing over a cable internet connection) happily reports back to me that there are no available updates.

Now, there are a couple of bugs, listed as critical in bugzilla, that confirm that I'm not alone with these problems, however they don't appear to be assigned to anyone at this stage. I believe that this issue deserves more attention than it's currently getting as security is one of the stated design goals of the project and with no working auto-update feature we're potentially being put in a worse position than with other vendor's alternatives that at least have monthly updates.

Regards,
Kai Howells

I've noticed this as well, however I was under the assumption that Mozilla just hasn't added the "patch" version of the update yet, which is why users are having to download and install the entire firefox engine again.