Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Unfiltered escape sequences in filenames contained in ZIP archives wouldn't be escaped on displaying or logging, and can also lead to bypass AV scanning

From: bipin gautam <visitbipin () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:43:24 -0800 (PST)

Dr. Peter,
My rants regarding similar issue dates back, Mar 05,
2004. There was some other issues in NAV product that
i tried contacting SYMANTEC in 2003 (i guess).
Symantec, discarded this issue.
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/357065

So did they to latest advisory!!!

http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/nav_bugs.html
 http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9811
http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/test_nav.zip

the exe file in there will create the POC. In there
you will find a file name called, "eicar_com &#9835;
.&#9786;&#9787;&#9829;&#9830;&#9827;&#9824;•&#9688;
’&#8596;&#9650;§ .com .zip" I STIL FIND IT strange to
see there are "lot of AV" out there that cant scan
such file properly to detect virus. I tested mine OLD
POC with NAV 2004 professional edition. And, found ANV
2004 is still vulnerable!!!!! not only 2002 late back
then.

Such issue discourage you away from responsible
disclosure/vendor notification etc. AND symantec is
the 1 and only cause for me, thats pushes me away from
responsible disclosure.

INDEED since then IT has been always FUN TO KICK THEIR
BALLS AND POKE THEIR BABY, time and again......

i guess, companies should know learn how to treat ppl.
who write to them. For this, i've always admired
Microsoft.   (O;   (no flames)

-bipin

--- bipin gautam <visitbipin () yahoo com> wrote:

NICE FIND. (O;

But hey, That something quite similar to my old
advisory
:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9811/discussion/

Norton AntiVirus 2002 ASCII Control Character Denial
Of Service Vulnerability

Norton AntiVirus 2002 has been reported to crash
when
performing manual scans on files contained in
certain
folders. This is related to how the software handles
ASCII control characters (represented by decimal
values in the range of 1-31).

Although unconfirmed this issue may allow a
malicious
file to go un-scanned, and so lead a user into a
false
sense of security.

-bipin

--- "Dr. Peter Bieringer" <pbieringer () aerasec de>
wrote:
Hello,

during investigation of Sober.l we got the idea to
replace the spaces of a
filename contained in the ZIP archive by some escape
sequences.

Many AV software is logging such filenames during
decompressing, so after
creating such regular ZIP archive (by using Perl
Archive::Zip module, no
other tweaks!) we've found that some of the tested
products do not filter
or replace the escape sequences, which leads to
funny results during
displaying the output of the AV scanner or viewing
the log.

Also we found that at least 2 AV scan programs from
2 vendors do not detect
the virus inside and report "clean" instead.

See here for more details:

<ftp://ftp.aerasec.de/pub/advisories/unfiltered-escape-sequences/unfiltered-escape-sequences.txt>

<http://www.aerasec.de/security/index.html?id=ae-200503-020&lang=en>

We provide also samples and the Perl program for
creating the samples:

<ftp://ftp.aerasec.de/pub/advisories/unfiltered-escape-sequences/>

Due lack of time we only tested a few products, so
if one can provide
results of other products, pls. send them (also) to
us. Thank you!

Regards,
      Dr. Peter Bieringer
--