Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Office 10 applications & flashdrives can be used to browse restricted drives

From: "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa () pacbell net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:51:41 -0800

Whether or NOT this is a true vulnerability....

"VENDOR RESPONSE
This issue was reported to Microsoft on Feb 11, 2005, acknowledged by
support, and as of today our best efforts to get a hotfix (or even a
commitment to produce a hotfix at some later date) have been fruitless. "

So let's see email sent 2/10 to secure () microsoft com [you did contact secure@ right?] and on 2/23 since you received no patch [13 days for patch testing...dude...get real] you blasted this to a listserve?

I emailed Sonny on the 23rd asking if he wanted a fast patch that broke stuff or a tested patch. He's yet to respond to me on that question.

"If" this is a issue, "If" it needs a patch, Sonny didn't even let a "Patch Tuesday" go by before blasting.

Whether or not you want to cut Microsoft some slack... there's a process of ethical and responsible disclosure that I would expect Sonny as a representative of a governmental agency would understand. He not only put his own government computers at risk but others in this disclosure, yes?

How about cutting us Admins some slack even if you "don't" cut Redmond some?

Susan

Jay D. Dyson wrote:

--
Chapter 4 of The Complete Patch Management Book: https://www.ecora.com/ecora/jump/pm149.asp

So why is it the only book on NT Event Logging is out of print?
http://tinyurl.com/3kwc2

And if you don't know about www.eventid.net You should!