Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is it possible to control access between clients on same LAN with a firewall?

From: "Mark" <firewalladmin () bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:14:20 -0500

Will:

The issue here is that computers on the same LAN do not forward packets to
the default gateway (your firewall), but use ARP and layer 2 to communicate.
The firewall never even pays attention to this traffic. The fact that the
firewall and switch are occupying the same physical device (your WRT54G)
makes no nevermind (as we say in the south). Even if you could make your
firewall filter the traffic, in essence you would be creating a situation
where your packets do a U-turn at the firewall, (I believe there is a term
for this, something like inter-LAN forwarding) which is not a good idea IMO
and can open you up to spoofing attacks from the outside.

As you surmised, the best way to restrict traffic on the same LAN is via
personal firewalls. However, there are other (usually more complicated)
ways. IPSec filtering is one option, linux has used solutions like TCP
Wrappers and miscellaneous config files for specific services like FTP,
Apache, ssh, etc.

This is just my 2 cents. Hopefully some of the more seasoned veterans on
this list can give you a better answer.

V/R

Mark