Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Duplicate Public IP Addresses?

From: "Orca" <klrorca () Hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:56:29 -0800

So the short answer is that the real owner of the 80.X.X.X ISP advertises the route, and you don't. So it would only affect your users local to your network, in which case they would go to your local 80.X.X.X address over the one on the internet someplace (assuming your advertising the 80.X.X.X subnet on your network).

Very few people would need to use more space than listed in RFC1918 and RFC 3330 before using other random IP addresses. If one still needs more than what these RFCs offer, then choose one that is unlikely to be on the common internet, or services that your local users don't use, like one of the DoD networks. But of course these can only be used internally; publically you will need addresses assigned to you from ARIN, or re-assigned from your ISP.

-Steve