Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Juniper NSM and secure log forwarding

From: Jon <njdude () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:49:09 -0500

From a Juniper Systems Engineer:

First, all logs sent to NSM either via SSP or DMI are encrypted.

Second, we don't use postgreSQL to store firewall logs, only profiler data.
We have a proprietary logDb that uses a flat-file, compressed format for the
logs.  The logs are not stored in an encrypted format, but the files are
owned by the "nsm" account, so you would need the credentials for "nsm" or
"root" to access them.

Logs forwarded by NSM via the "Action Manager" will be sent in clear-text
though as we use standard syslog or SNMP-Trap formats for this function.

Regards,
Jon
(Disclosure - I work for Juniper)