Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Death Of A Firewall

From: Kerry Thompson <kez () crypt gen nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:12:23 +1200

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 17:33 -0400, James Paterson wrote:
http://www.securitypipeline.com/165700439

Be interesting to get the communities take on this article.

It was covered on slashdot a couple of weeks ago.

It starts off with grand contentious statements such as "I proposed to
our technology architects that we eliminate our network firewalls", but
in the details we see that they implement a tiered structure with a DMZ
and ACLs on layer-3 switches, which from a distance looks a lot like a
firewall structure to me.

So, they seem to have got rid of the commercial boxes with "FIREWALL" on
the front, and implemented defence in depth. Good on them for thinking
about the problem and implementing a nice workable solution, but its
hardly new.

--
Kerry Thompson CCNA CISSP
http://www.crypt.gen.nz