Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX Version 6.3(3) SMTP Problem

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:39:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

This depends on a lot of factors. In particular, the skillset of the
administrator. Email administration does not take so much time, as
skill.

Yes, but unless you're having problems, it's pretty much a fire and forget
thing.

http://nixcartel.org/~devdas/minute.png just to contrast with your
numbers below. These systems are CPU bound.
About half that is DNSBL, a quarter is unknown user and the rest is
other checks. And that graph is from last August. There is no major
content filtering (only some header, mime_header and body checks).

Nice, the system I talked about delivers between 20,000 and 35,000
messages per day.  I'm considering graphing it out, but haven't had the
time to parse the message I get and lump it into something useful.

Was this an "accept everything and then bounce" setup? People should
know better than to leave systems like that on the Internet today.

It wasn't.  I've got one of those, it's just fine- though pre-mailfilter,
I was considering locking it down by recipient.

Nice. If you have the time, plug in mailgraph there, it generates pretty
graphs.

They're not big on graphs, which is why I hope to work with them a lot
more in the future!

Do they really need the secondary? Spammers tend to attack secondaries
far more often than primaries, and most secondary MX servers serve no
useful purpose today.

Unfortunately, they do- they're a service provider.

Generally what's left over is easy to filter with just about anything, so
I'd say my experience mirrors yours in that basic protections nail the
majority of the bad stuff.  For my personal stuff, I just run it all
through Mailscanner and clean out the rejected piles from time to time.

I've updated my rules three times this year.  I've seen about 20 spam
messages that didn't get caught by filters, I used to see 3x that a day
on *good* days.

I wish I was that lucky. I get about 40 UBE a day sent to my forwarding
accounts. Stuff sent directly here doesn't make it through though.

Oh, I have accounts that aren't that good, but I don't control the
mailserver on those, or I don't set the policy.  But this account has been
doing pretty well.

Paul