Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Internet accessible screened subnet - use public orprivateIPs?

From: "Dale W. Carder" <dwcarder () doit wisc edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:22:11 -0500

Thus spake lordchariot () earthlink net (lordchariot () earthlink net) on Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:12:58PM -0400:

What about when IPv6 becomes predominant on the net?

I wouldn't worry about this too much for businesses in the US.

Am I mistaken that there doesn't seem to be any concept of NAT in the IPv6
specs?

The idea of ipng was to learn from our mistakes.

However, either 1) NAT for ipv6 will be created, 2) PI address space becomes
a reality, or 3) an elegant to deal with hosts w/ multiple addresses bound to
an interface.  Any of those is a long ways off at this point.

You may be interested in reading:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-01.txt

Dale