Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Internet accessible screened subnet - use public orprivate IPs?

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:28:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Matt Bazan wrote:

Is there a preferred method of setting up a Internet facing screened
subnet and the use of public or private IP addresses?  Looking at
redesinging our DMZ to only include public resources (www, smtp, imap,
ftp).  Presently we use a private IP address range for this that is
NAT'ed at our firewall.  Any reasons to change this policy to using
public IPs in the DMZ?  Thanks,

If you're NATing to your internal network, then a rework is necessary-
public stuff should be on its own (preferably) physical subnet.

IP addressing doesn't matter much, since you'll be letting stuff through
the most likely exploit vectors anyway.

The thing I've been eharing for years about why NAT is better is that you may change ISP's and end up with a new set of IP addresses which are easier to change if you NAT.

this may be true (I've actually never seen anyone acutally DO this), but you are trading one-time headaches (which I personally believe are no more severe then all the other changes that you need to make when changing things, firewalls, DNS, NAT tables, etc) for ongoing overhead (performance on your NAT device, troubleshooting, bugs in the NAT implementation, overloading of the NAT tables, etc)

I would definantly have things that server the Internet use public addresses, once you get behind that layer and have devices that only talk to internal stuff, then make it all private addresses.

David Lang

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no
deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.