Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW: VOIP versus PBX

From: "Michael H" <af_pilot33 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:55:36 -0700

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>

> We just moved to a VoIP system and the 911 calls are routed through them but
> with our address and number shown as the source. Part of the approval
> process is us actually calling 911 with a test call and validating what they
> see.

But are your calls routed to a national center for your VIOP provider with
their tracking info, or directly to your local municipal E911 center?

As far as I recall, the VoIP providers were all doing it to their own call
centers if they were doing it at all.

Good question. I know they are doing something because we won't be accepting the system until I can call 911 and they
have the right info. I assume it's to their center and from their
to our local 911 office.

> In reference to previous posts on security, this company is addressing that > by us using a dedicated t1 through their offices. This way they control the > connection from our phone eventually to a POTS connection. This seems like a
> decent idea for keeping folks who are not customers from disrupting the
> system but I'm a little worried about those who are customers.

If you're still paying for a T-1, then I assume your savings are all local
loop and potentially IXC charges?

Well here's the deal, they will also route our data traffic so we will
be eventually switching off our current T-1. We are also getting two T-1's for some redundancy since I'm a little nervous. All of our remote
employees will be getting Cisco phones and will of course just use
their local broadband connection (this is where we expect significant
savings) though they also offer a service for home users (ISDN or T-1).
Of course the home user experience won't always be perfect but
many folks have gotten good connections via Vonage, Skype, etc.
They remote users will now be truely connected and managed by
us where as they haven't been in the past.