Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: http uploads (was: Our friend FTP, again)

From: youngk () ttc com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:13:32 -0400

How hard to merge something like wu-ftp and Apache to do uploads?

Netscape has been doing this for a couple of years now in their Enterprise
WWW server. You publish files using Netscape Communicator and use a Java
applet (located on the WWW server) to add/delete/rename directories,
upload/download files directly to your computer, run version control, etc.

I think (but haven't confirmed this) that in a newer version of the server,
you can encrypt these transmissions using SSL.

Note that using this method to transfer files is much slower that "trusty
old FTP". Also (I'm sad to say), this method isn't supported by any 3rd
party html authoring programs, so you are stuck using whatever Netscape
puts into their client/server.

--Keith

-youngk () ttc com