Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Dropsafe" logs

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 11:22:39 -0400

In message <199904081003.KAA12670 () idc057 IDC CTBTO ORG>, Scott Crawford writes:
Greetings --

We are seeking a means to implement real-time write-once "dropsafe" logs of o
ur
firewall bastion in case of a system failure or a hacker trying to cover thei
tracks.  Unfortunately, unless there's an alternative I'm not aware of, a CD-
requires a complete disk image in ISO 9660 format to be burned into the
writeable disk all at once, which means we either have to wait until we have
nearly 640 MB of logfiles to write or waste an awful lot of writeable disk
space.

You may need to redefine "waste".  30 seconds looking at the Web
shows a 3.2G IDE drive for ~$100, and 9G UltraSCSI for $400.

Sure, that's not free, and there are other constraints, such as open
bays and the like.  But it's likely to be cheaper than anything else
you do, especially if you count your time.  Consider -- for ~$500,
you can buy an entire PC, bring up a stripped-down Linux, and have several
gig of disk for log space.

"Hardware is free; people are expensive".