Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OK, I've been hacked, now what?

From: sedwards () sedwards com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:38:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Antonomasia wrote:

From: sedwards () sedwards com

Yes it's true, one of my client's web page was hacked. The attack
occurred on March 27.

[snip]

      Estimate the cost of the incident (when considered finished).
      Actually I'd like to know too since you've been kind enough to
      talk about it.

Rough guestimates:

        Personnel               Hours           Rate    Cost
        senior management       6               300     1800
        mid-management          6               150      900
        senior consultant       16              150     2400
        senior admin            8                75      600
        mid-admin               8                50      400
        junior admin #1         4                30      120
        junior admin #2         4                30      120
        junior admin #3         4                30      120
        "retired" hardware                               600
        lost revenue                                     500
                                                        7560

Note that this does not include the costs of pursuing legal avenues since
these are still in motion.

The impact of this attack was mitigated by the availability of spare
hardware on hand and reasonably fresh backups -- we pulled the drives out
of the compromised host, replaced them with spares, installed the OS from
CD's and restored the site content from tape.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Edwards      sedwards () sedwards com      Voice: +1-760-723-2727 PST
Newline            Pager: +1-760-740-1220           Fax: +1-760-731-3000