Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: MFA for Incarcerated Students

From: Matt Weatherford <mbw () UW EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:42:13 -0700

Could the incarcerated student  work in a "study room" with a landline that accepts incoming phone calls?  (more likely than allowing a cell phone, but still feels unlikely)

DUO 2FA allows you to add in a "Call my landline and tell me a code" 2fa option. A shared incoming phone line has its share of risks and isnt tied directly to a user in the way 2FA prefers, but might work here.

Matt Weatherford
University of Washington
Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology
UW Data Collaborative