Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Managed and unmanaged devices survey

From: "Carlton, Cynthia" <cynthia.carlton () ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 16:17:49 +0000

Good afternoon

I'm working on a benchmarking survey on behalf of our CISO and CIO regarding managed and unmanaged devices. I will be
happy to share the results of what I collect if there is expressed interest. Please feel free to respond to me directly
 - Cynthia.carlton () rochester edu<mailto:Cynthia.carlton () rochester edu>. Thank you in advance for your feedback!

If anyone has any resources / studies or other community groups to engage with, I would appreciate that feedback as
well.

Would you be able to do another benchmarking study for us?  This topic is around managed and unmanaged devices.  The
list of questions are below.

  1.  Are faculty and staff provided a University owned computer?
  2.  What percentage of your staff have University owned computer?
  3.  What percentage of your faculty have University owned computer?
  4.  Do you use a device management software for patching and systems management on these types of devices?
     *   Windows
     *   Macs
     *   Android
     *   iOS
     *   What solutions do you use for each?
  5.  Do you have an exception process for faculty to opt out of management software?
     *   If yes what % of faculty have an exception?
     *   What are the top 3 reasons for the exception?
  6.  Do you require all devices supplied by the organization to be managed?
  7.  Do you use security software to managed students devices ?
     *   If yes what solutions are you using ?
     *   What % of your students devices are managed ?
  8.  Do you allow BYOD on the network?
  9.  If yes to BYOD, do you preform endpoint interrogation before allowing on the network?
     *   If yes what solution?
     *   What population use the solution (Faculty, Staff, Students)?
  10. What happens if the device does not pass the interrogation policy?
  11. Are you using a traditional Mobile Device Management (MDM) for BYOD or moving towards Mobile Application
Management (MAM)?
  12. Do you have Virtual Desktop solutions to allow BYOD devices to access your network?
     *   If Yes what solutions?
     *   What populations use this solution (Faculty, Staff, Students)?

Cynthia Carlton
Information Architect
University of Rochester
Desk:   585-275-1068
Email:  cynthia.carlton () rochester edu<mailto:cynthia.carlton () rochester edu>