Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SIEM questions.

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 14:01:39 -0500

I was Principal Security Engineer for OmniSOC.iu.edu and have used several
other SIEMs at smaller scale. "It depends."

Your colleagues at University of Oklahoma were happy enough with
Graylog, for which you can pay if you want. It depends what data you want
to ingest and what sysadmin talent you have. Graylog is more tightly
coupled and less bleeding-edge than SecurityOnion.

Also "free" with optional consulting, the latest version of SecurityOnion
has gotten quite good. As a collection of open source projects it is
loosely coupled and keeps pretty close to the leading edge of software
components, and as such has sometimes become "unstable," but there are
advantages to these architectural attributes, too. AlienVault, which had a
few pretty bad years, has also gotten good again, I've heard, though its
free version is less viable.

If you have limited or possibly non-retainable sysadmin staff and smaller
amounts of data, outsourcing can be reasonably priced. OmniSOC.iu.edu,
ArcticWolf.com, and others would be happy to talk to you. Given your
location I'm sure you are already familiar with CyberPosse from UT Austin.
These 3 (and others) offer a good spread of different technical,
architectural, and pricing models. OmniSOC (where I used to work) probably
has the highest "floor" of the three but may scale better to a higher
"ceiling," since we designed it for the literal Big Ten.

I don't have any personal experience with any of the "commercial" in-house
SIEMs at your scale. In general, as with any product, beware that pricing
may go up after the teaser discount pricing and that the fancy bells and
whistles might not be a perfect fit out of the box. Also, many vendors are
preferring "cloud" because frankly it is easier for vendor tech support to
deal with, not just you.